Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cultural Funfair

Yesterday was a whirlwind of unexpected fun. It all started out at the Scout Candy Land fashion show in Dundee, where I got to dress up in an outfit of my choice and have my hair and makeup done by Halo* Studios. I wore a green boy scout shirt with a cranberry colored scarf, a Free People jean shirt with a rainbow belt, and vintage red Dorthy-esque pumps. My hair was big and backcombed (garnished with a hair clip made out of purple candy) and my makeup was blue and purple with matching blue lips painted geisha style.  
After strutting the catwalk and taking advantage of the free keg beer, I  went to Amsterdam Falafel around the corner for some delicious curry fries with my new found friends Nolan and Eric. 
We then headed back downtown to the Slowdown to catch Lincoln band, Mr. 1986, play 1 of 3 reunion shows, before retiring for good. I was happy to experience the multi-layered purely instrumental music that reminded me of a Midwestern Explosions in the Sky. Outside on the patio I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Lindsay Baker, the Omaha Reader's style beat reporter. 
As if the night wasn't colorful enough, my friends and I decided to stop by an after-hours party on the way home, where I got to meet Darren Keen, the crazy mastermind behind the anti-Creek Omaha band The Show is the Rainbow
My editor for the Creightonian recently sent me an e-mail that ended with a quote from Thoreau, "How vain is it to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." 
I think I'm on the right track. 

1 comment:

glowah said...

That sounds like such a blast. I love your blog.

Your hair clip was made of candy? Super sweet.